Malibu Thunder Forums
Visit Crista's Crafts website Malibu Thunder Shirts Visit Powerhouse Performance Visit Mac-Ink Customs Web Site Visit D-M Products
 Home PageHome Page   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister  View Iggnore ListIgnore List 
 Photo Gallery   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuttin' Coils ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malibu Thunder Forum Index -> suspension talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
~JM~
G body junky

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Cuttin' Coils ? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anybody here ever try cutting the coil springs to lower their car?

I have a '78 Malibu with a 305. Everything was stock until recently.

I now have 15" wheels with 235/60's in front & 255/60's in back.

I would like to lower the car some. Especially the front. Looking for advise on lowering the car. I was thinking of cutting one coil in the front & half a coil in the back.

Thanks
~JM~
~JM~
G body junky

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

P.S.

Any tips or mechanic tricks on how to remove the coils?

Thanks
~JM~
NOT_SLOW
g-bodys all the way

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

get drop spindles for the front. then you dont have to have the front end aligned again
phantom
g-bodys all the way

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Stay twords the inside when prying them out they hurt like a bitch when they hit you.
bigadam79
post whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Buy are rent the tool you need from an auto parts store. Your looking for a coil spring compresor. it hooks to the spring with 4 arms in the middle of the spring and you use an impact to tighten it up and it compresses the spring. Makes it soo much easier and safer when removing/installing the spring.

My advice to you.....Start drinking heavily!!
bigadam79
post whore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
they hurt like a bitch when they hit you.

heath, that must be one reason your such a nut! Laughing

bigadam79
post whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I was actually wondering..for those who have cut coils before, about how much should be cut to get about 2" of drop?

phantom
g-bodys all the way

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

All springs are differant go a little at a time half a coil you can't put it back on and if there new they will settle a little,
pushrod
malibu fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

When pulling the springs out up front make sure to jack the whole front of the car up prety good, remove the shock, take ya a 3/8 drive extension(what i call a transmission extension) thats about 2 feet long run it DOWN through the hole where the shock comes up through the top of the frame, then take a jack and jack up the bottom a-frame enough to make pressure on it, take loose your balljoints from the spindle, slightly lower the jack enough to break loose the spindle(some hammering my been needed) A balljoint splitter is useful. Then once the spindle is off, with the extension still ran down through where the shock was (to keep the spring from popping out) slowly let the jack down until the bottom a-frame wont come down anymore. Pull the jack out from under, you might have to sit down and take your feet to press the aframe on down some more, while doing that just start man handling the sping until its free. But always leave the extension ran through until it does because with all the pressure they have on em they will pop out and smack the hell out of whats ever in their path. Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you.
xdeadboox
wanna race

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
When pulling the springs out up front make sure to jack the whole front of the car up prety good, remove the shock, take ya a 3/8 drive extension(what i call a transmission extension) thats about 2 feet long run it DOWN through the hole where the shock comes up through the top of the frame, then take a jack and jack up the bottom a-frame enough to make pressure on it, take loose your balljoints from the spindle, slightly lower the jack enough to break loose the spindle(some hammering my been needed) A balljoint splitter is useful. Then once the spindle is off, with the extension still ran down through where the shock was (to keep the spring from popping out) slowly let the jack down until the bottom a-frame wont come down anymore. Pull the jack out from under, you might have to sit down and take your feet to press the aframe on down some more, while doing that just start man handling the sping until its free. But always leave the extension ran through until it does because with all the pressure they have on em they will pop out and smack the hell out of whats ever in their path. Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you.

you wanna wip his ass too, lol, i kiiid i kiid... Very Happy thats it in a nutshell

i dunno, i never had a problem with them shooting out, i just took a prybar and pryed down on the lower arm... put em back the same way, no compressors needed...
xdeadboox
wanna race

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
I was actually wondering..for those who have cut coils before, about how much should be cut to get about 2" of drop?

lotsa factors, f/e weight, spring rate... like said before, qtr to half a coil at a time...
hiway
bowties or bust

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Like they said...1/2 at a time. But one coil is "normally" about 2 inches. I use a 4" side grinder with a cutoff blade.

MidsouthRacers.com
pushrod
malibu fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Anytime ive ever cut any coils, i hate doing it cause it kills the ride, but no where near what it does to em to heat em. But when i cut em i always go a whole round, if it wont take a whole round then it doesnt need to be done, because if you go a whole round then everything lines right back up like it should, no guessing it getting it back together and it leaning on one side and having to twist around on the coils to get them equal on both sides.
crusty junk
malibu fan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: missed on this......duh Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

for what you can buy a pair of drop spindles for these days......there are tons of used s10 spindles floating around ....cheap....they are even showing up in junk yards around here.....as for the rears.....being they are pig tailed.....they can't be cut .....i have heated and collapsed the pig tail until it is flat inside the outer coil......no science.....its guess work at best.....the last one we did ....set jack stands under the rear bumper.....clamped the springs to the rear with hose clamps....and did the cherry drop....got about 1 1/2 pretty easy.......let cool before removing jacks..... brandon

custom hand painted pinstriping and lettering....and even some vinyl too.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Malibu Thunder Forum Index -> suspension talk All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: